بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
As Salaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakaatuh
(See newly added excellent recitors below of the Imams of the Haram, may Allah protect them – also http://www.tvquran.com/Alafasi.htm.)
Insha Allah, you will get in the habit of reading Suratul Kahf every Friday. The surah may be read during the night or the day of Jumu’ah. The night of Jumu’ah starts from sunset on Thursday, and the day of Jumu’ah ends at sunset. Therefore the time for reading this surah extends from sunset on Thursday to sunset on Friday.
Something to make it easier is to read along with a well-known reciter. See the end of this message for some urls of additional good reciters.
Suratul Kahf Makkan Surah
18th Surah in the Qur’an
It’s ayat number 110
Preferences of the Surah
There are many ahadeeth that enumerate the blessings of this surah in its entirety and regarding the first or last ten ayat.
1. Abu Darda’ ~ may Allah be pleased with him ~ related that the Holy Prophet ~ ~ said, ” One who memorized the first ten verses of Suratul Kahf will be secure against the Dajjal (Anti-Christ). Another version says: “One who commits to his memory the last 10 verses of this surah will remain immune from the Dajjal. [Muslim]
2. From Baihaqi: He who recites Suratul Kahf on yaumul Jumuah (Friday), Allah will shine a light for him between the two Fridays. [sahih]
3. From Ahmad, Muslim, An-Nisaa’ie, and Ibn Habban — that Abu Darda’ said the Messenger of Allah ~ ~ said, “Whoever reads the last 10 ayat from Suratul Kahf, he will be immune from the fitnah (corruption) of the Dajjal.
4. Al Bukhari, Muslim and others: Al Baraa’ said a man was reading Suratul Kahf in his home and there was an animal in it (it did not specify if it was a cat or dog or goat — it just used the general term for animal) that started to become uneasy or nervous. He looked up and saw a mist or a cloud and it deceived him. He mentioned it to the Messenger of Allah ~ ~ and he said, “Read (he said the person’s name) for verily sakinah descends for (the recitation of) Qur’an”. The person who was reading was ‘Aseed bin Hadheer, as At-Tubraani explained.
5. From At-Tirmithi who proclaimed it sahih: Abu Darda’ said, “The Messenger of Allah ~ ~ said, ‘Whoever reads 3 ayat from the beginning of Suratul Kahf is protected or immune from the fitnah of the Dajjal. In another version it says 10 ayat from the beginning of it or 10 ayat from the end of it.
6. Ibn Mardwiyah Al Daiya’ in “Al Mukhtaar” related that Ali ~ may Allah be pleased with him ~ said that the Messenger of Allah ~ ~ said: “Whoever reads (Suratul) Kahf on yaumul Jumuah, he is immune for 8 days from all fitnah that will happen. When the Dajjal comes out, he will be immune to him.
7. Found in At-Tubraani’s “Al Awsat” and Al Haakim’s “Mustadrak” and who declared it sahih, Ibn Mardwiyah and Al Baihaqi and Al Diyaa’: Abu Saeed Al Khudari said that the Messenger of Allah ~ ~ said, “Whoever reads Suratul Kahf has a light for him from “maqaamahu” his place (where he is standing) to Makkah; and whoever reads 10 ayat from the end of it (the last 10 ayat) then the Dajjal comes out, he will not be harmed by him.
8. Al Haakim who said it is sahih — the hadith of Abu Saeed — that the Messenger of Allah ~ ~ said, “Whoever reads Suratul Kahf on yaumul Jumuah, a light will shine for him between the 2 Fridays (until the next Friday).Al Baihaqi also provided that hadith in “As Sunan” from the same narrators and from a different chain.
9. Ibn Mardwiyah from Ibn Omar ~ may Allah be pleased with them both ~ who said the Messenger of Allah ~ ~ said, “Whoever reads Suratul Kahf on yaumul Jumuah, for him light would shine from beneath his foot to ‘Aden in the heavens, shining for him on the Last Day and he will be forgiven for what occurs between the 2 Fridays (minor sins)
10. On the authority of Aiesha ~may Allah be pleased with her~ the Messenger of Allah ~ ~ said, “Shall I not inform you of a surah which is so full of greatness it reaches between the heaven and earth and it has blessings written for it of similar proportions (from the sky to earth) whoever reads it on yaumul Jumuah is forgiven what occurred between that Jumuah and the next, in addition to 3 days (i.e. 10 days in all) and whoever reads the last five ayat of it when he goes to sleep, Allah will send him that night what he wants? They said, Yes, O Messenger of Allah. He said: Surat Ashaabul Kahf. [I pray that I have translated this correctly. May Allah forgive me if I have not conveyed it correctly as these are the words the His Messenger, peace be upon him.]
و من قرأ الخمس شمأواخر منها عند نومه بعثه من أىّ الليل شاء. . .
[My note: Subhaanallah, I truly marvel at all the ways, the opportunities Allah, Most Merciful, gives us to reach Paradise and to protect us from harm. So many of the above ahadeeth make reference to the Dajjal. Now, we may read this and think, “Well, the chances are slim that we’ll be confronted with this situation,” however, we never know. We know that the emergence of the Dajjal is to happen during the last days before Yaumul Qiyammah, but these “days” are not the 24 hours that make up our daily lives, no, these are really time periods that are set to happen by our Creator, azzau wa jal.
I recall my first readings about the Dajjal and it did scare me a bit because he will seem to be so powerful and will be able to produce many miracles or what will seem to be miracles. Many good people will be fooled or deceived by him and follow. It will be disconcerting to others to see known pious or good people followi ng what the Dajjal says. This is very scary and it will tend to mislead those weak in faith. It will be an extremely trying time and the fact that he will be given the ability to offer people a choice between what seems to be certain death or life where that which appears as death (fire) will actually be safe is very frightening, but the true believer, when forced to make that decision will choose fire rather than kufr. It will be very frightening. We don’t know exactly how this will occur or even when, but we have seen many of the signs of the last days come to pass so it is not farfetched to feel, to think that we are living in some of the last days before the Last Day.
Therefore, it is a blessing and a mercy from Allah to have this surah as a protection from those days of fitnah ahead. We don’t know if these days will occur during our life time or during the lifetime of our children. We should “tie the camel” by memorizing these ayat and encourage our family to do so and their children and their children and so forth so that when it does occur, we and our children and their offspring will be protected. We just don’t thank Allah enough for all His Blessings.
We can achieve this great protection by memorizing a few words — subhaallah wa nashkurahu] About the Surah Suratul Kahf is a Makkan surah and it is one of five surahs that begin with the phrase “Al Hamdulillah”; they are — Al Faatihah, Al-An’aam, Al Kahf, Saba’ and Faatir. Each of these surahs begin with praising Allah, jala wa ‘ala, and His Holiness, recognizing His Greatness, Magnificence, Majesty and Perfection. This surah brings us three inspiring and impressive Qur’anic stories, by way of / or for the purpose of confirming its basic purpose of establishing the correct Aqeedah (Islamic beliefs) and faith in the greatness of the Lord, Full of Majesty and Honor.
As for the first story, it is the story of ‘As-haabul Kahf — the Companions of the Cave, a story which clarifies Islamic beliefs, a story about several believing youths who flea their country for the sake of their religion and take refuge in a mountain cave, then remain there asleep for 309 years. Then Allah reawakens them after this lengthy period.
The second story is the story of the Prophet Musa ~ ~ with Al-Khidr. It is a story having to do with seeking knowledge, and information or knowledge of the unseen (‘ilmul ghaib) which Allah chooses to make know to “al ‘abd as-saalih” Al-Khidr whilst Musa does not know until Al-Khidr) informs him, like the story of the boat, the circumstances around the killing of the youth and the building of the wall.
The third story is of “Thul Qarnain”, a king makannu Allah with taqwa (fear of Allah) and a heightened sense of justice, to extend his powers over the inhabited world and to possess mushaariq al ard wa maghaaribaha – the East of the earth and its West, and the issue of his building a great dam.
Just as the surah uses, for the purpose of its intent, these three stories, it also uses impressive examples in order to explain that the truth is not connected or linked to great wealth or power or sovereignty; it is only tied to correct beliefs. The first example give is the wealthy person who is extremely rich and the poor person “al m’utaza by his beliefs and his belief in the story of the companions of the gardens. The second example given is the “hayatu dunya” or the life of this world and what it consists of. The third example is of the arrogance, pride and deception of Iblis which resulted in his refusal to bow down before Adam ~ alaihi as salaam ` wa ma naalahu min at tarrad wal hurmaan.
Each of these stories and examples are meant to be taken as a lesson or moral as well as points for reflection.
The Name of the Surah
It is named Suratul Kahf because of the miraculous divine story in it, the wondrous, strange story of the Companions of the Cave. . .
From the Imams of the Haram:
أحمد العجمي <> –
entire Qur’an – Sheikh Ahmed Al’Ajemi (المصحف كاملاً)
خالد القحطاني <> Sheikh Khalid AlQahtaani
entire Qur’an (المصحف كاملاً)
سعد الغامدي <>
سعود الشريم <>
صلاح البدير <>
عبدالباسط عبدالصمد <>
عبدالرحمن السديس <>
عبدالرشيد صوفي <>
عبدالله عواد الجهني <>
علي الحذيفي <>
محمد أيوب <>
محمد جبريل <>
محمد صديق المنشاوي <>
محمود خليل الحصري <>
ناصر القطامي <>
Jazakiallahu khairan to Umm Yousef for the above
Go to http://www.reciter.org or
This is Sheikh Salah Budair, Imam Masjid An Nabi, Madinah
http://audio.islamicnetwork.com/ This site contains: Quran
AbdulBaset AbdulSamad [Murattal]
Abdullah Ali Jabir
Abdullah Awwad al-Juhaynee
Abu Bakr al-Shatri
Ahmed ibn Ali al-Ajamy
Madinah Taraweeh 1426
Madinah Taraweeh 1427
Mahmood Khaleel Al-Husaree
Makkah Taraweeh 1426
Makkah Taraweeh 1427
Mishaari Raashid al-Aafaasee
Muhammad Ayoob [with Mikaal Waters English]
Muhammad Jibreel (Complete)
Muhammad Jibreel (Partial)
Muhammad Siddeeq al-Minshawi
Nadir al-Qallawi (with English Translation)
Saad al-Ghaamidi (Complete)
Saad al-Ghaamidi (Partial)
Saleh al Taleb
Shakir Qasami with English Translation
Sodais and Shuraim
Sudais and Shuraim (with English Translation)
Tawfeeq ibn Saeed as-Sawa’igh
http://english.islamway.com/bindex.php?section=echapters&recitor_id=10 (Al Efasy)
Minshary AlAfaasi reading Al Kahf: http://www.tvquran.com/Alafasi.htm
or http://www.islamway.com/?iw_s=Quran&iw_a=view&id=100 (Jaber)
or Sheikh Mahmoud Hosary:
Slow for learning
(NOTE: Halaqah Makkah does not endorse these websites other than listening to different reciters of Qur’an)
~*~*~*~*~* ~ *~*~*~*~*~*~
Compiled by Omm Rafiq
O Allah, grant me love for You for those who love You and for every deed that brings me close to Your love Allahumma inni ‘asaluka hubak, wa hub man yuhibik, wa hub kullu ‘amalin yuqrabani ‘ila hubik
قُلْ إِنَّمَآ أَنَاْ بَشَرٌ مِّثْلُكُمْ يُوحَى إِلَىَّ أَنَّمَآ إِلَـهُكُمْ إِلَـهٌ وَاحِدٌ فَمَن كَانَ يَرْجُو لِقَآءَ رَبِّهِ فَلْيَعْمَلْ عَمَلاً صَـلِحاً وَلاَ يُشْرِكْ بِعِبَادَةِ رَبِّهِ أَحَدَا
Say: “I am only a man like you. It has been revealed to me that your God is One God. So whoever hopes for the meeting with his Lord, let him work righteousness and associate none as a partner in the worship of his Lord.”